We continue to refine our Broken Stones with the 2017 vintage. It’s our only Syrah based cuvée that is not a vineyard designate, so we get to play with lots from multiple vineyards. James Berry makes up the largest chunk, with a 4 acre block of Syrah we planted in 1996. This block continues to get more amazing every year. Black, with a chewy spine of tannin and acid. There’s more G2 Vineyard in here than ever before, and we are really happy about that. G2 is turning out to be a stellar site! We aged the wine in a good portion of new French 300L barrels which provided just the right amount of spicy sweet oak.
During the 2017 growing season California was served an impressive heat wave that arrived at the wrong time, when the fruit was getting close, but definitely not there yet. We were faced with two options. Our first option was to pick the fruit that was starting to shrivel from the heat. Fruit with numbers saying the sugars were getting too high, acids were too strong, and tannins were too green. The second option was to let it ride. However, you can’t predict the weather and could potentially loose the whole crop. A huge gamble. Well, we rolled the dice and let everything hang. Then we proceeded to bite our nails and watch the weather. Eventually the heat stopped and we ended up losing a portion of our crop, maybe 15%, but the remaining 85% was awesome. We had to spend a lot of time on the sorting table removing the damaged portions of the clusters, but it was all worthwhile. The wines are delicious! The 2017s definitely have a riper aromatic than the 2016s, but I rather enjoy that. The tannins are incredibly soft and smooth, making them very open and approachable in their youth. I like to think that the 2016s will ultimately be the better wines, but for the first 5, maybe 8 years of their lives, the 2017s might bring more pleasure, and bringing pleasure is what this is all about!!!