The 2014 Colonello is a baby today, but a wine defined by finesse and delicacy. There’s notes of citrus on the nose, with delicate acidity and a gentle, mouth coating texture. From a plot close to Barolo, this is a gorgeous, long Barolo.
Aldo Conterno is one of THE benchmark Barolo producers. Son of "old world" producer, Giacomo Conterno, Aldo spent time in the US and South America in the 1950's before returning to Italy, breaking off of his father's winery, and making what might be considered as an amalgamation of old and new world styles. These wines are highly sought after, darlings of the large publications (scores are consistently 93+ across the board), and with only 80,000 bottles total produced each year, sell out before they even arrive in the USA.
One hundred percent of Conterno wines are produced from the Bussia MGA in Monforte d'Alba. Conterno petites - Langhe Rosso, Conca Tre Pile Barbera, Bussiador Chardonnay, and Il Favot Nebbiolo - are all aged in small oak, while the Baroli are all aged in large, traditional botti.
Each Cru wine is a unique expression of one of the three hills owned by the Conterno brothers and Granbussia is the ultimate expression of the best grapes from these hills. Below is a summary of each of the hills with scores (please note Wine Spectator is still to be released for Baroli and Granbussia has not yet been rated by any publications). More information is also available in the I'll Drink to That Podcast that Giacomo Conterno appeared in two years ago: https://soundcloud.com/leviopenswine/giacomoconterno
* Aldo Conterno Barolo Bussia 2015
* Made from the youngest Nebbiolo vines in the Conterno's Bussia holdings
* Aged in large botti
* Still 100% Bussia Cru
* 93 Wine Advocate, 96 James Suckling
* Aldo Conterno Barolo Colonnello 2015
* Colonnello is a site with soils composed of sand and magnesium, closer to the lighter Tortonian soils and at the very edge of Bussia Soprana.
* This cru is often considered the most "elegant" expression of Conterno Baroli.
* 94+ Wine Advocate, 98 James Suckling